Acer tataricum (Tatarian Maple) Seeds
Zone 3 to 8.
Native to temperate regions of Asia and found in central and eastern Europe.
Attractive small tree or large shrub for smaller planting sites. Very cold hardy and adaptable to many soil types once established. It has attractive bright pink to red winged samaras in late summer and autumn. Very good specimen for bonsai.
Tree does best in full sun or partial shade and can tolerate dry conditions once established.
Size: Height 15 to 25 ft; Width 15 to 25 ft.
Stratification: Seeds require about 90 – 120 days cold stratification at 3° C (37° F) to 5° C (41° F).
- First place seeds in a container with warm water and leave them in the water for about 24 hours.
- Next mix some soiless mixture for starting seeds or sand and vermiculite moisten with water and place it in sandwich bag(s). Note mixture should be moist not soggy.
- Place the seeds inside the mix and refrigerate for 90 to 120 days. Note the bag(s) should not be sealed. Poke hole or leave partially open for air.
- Occasionally check to see if seeds are starting to sprout.
- After the required time or when it seems that they are sprouting, transplant seeds in a container and where they can grow. Note some seeds may sprout sporadically so don’t give up.