Acer palmatum (Japanese Maple) Seeds
Zone 5 to 9.
Native to Japan, China, Korea and southeastern Russia.
An excellent small tree for the garden with an extensive variety of beautiful cultivars available at nurseries and garden centres. Its graceful form and compact size make it one of the most popular specimens for bonsai.
Tree does best in a sunny site or partial shade, but in zones with hot summers it is preferable to select a site with partial shade.
Size: Height 15 to 20 ft; Width 15 to 20 ft.
Stratification: Seeds require about 90 – 120 days cold stratification at 3° C (37° F) to 5° C (41° F).
- First place seeds in a container with warm water and leave them in the water for about 24 hours.
- Next mix some soilless mixture for starting seeds or sand and vermiculite moisten with water and place it in sandwich bag(s). Note mixture should be moist not soggy.
- Place the seeds inside the mix and refrigerate for 90 to 120 days. Note the bag(s) should not be sealed. Poke hole or leave partially open for air.
- Occasionally check to see if seeds are starting to sprout.
- After the required time or when it seems that they are sprouting, transplant seeds in a container where they can grow. Note some seeds may sprout sporadically so don’t give up.